Petroleum Engineering Courses in India
Petroleum Engineering covers a wide range of activities
ranging from the discovery of natural sources, examination of the natural characteristics
to the development of modern machinery for the extraction and processing of petroleum.
The work of a petroleum engineer begins with the exploration of reservoirs. They
use computer models for simulation of the effects of various drilling options.
Duration of Petroleum engineering degree course
is 4 years.
Successful completion of the 10+2 examination
with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics as main subjects is the minimum eligibility
criteria required to pursue a B.Tech in Petroleum Engineering.
Scope & Career
Options: Petroleum Engineers get the
jobs mainly in oil and gas extraction, professional, scientific and technical services
and petroleum refining. They may also work for companies that manufacture drilling
equipment, supplies and refining processes. Those with higher degrees can opt for
the research field. He/she may join research labs as scientist or research fellow
to carry out the R&D activities.
Petroleum Engineers regularly top the list
of highest starting salaries. The reason for the high remuneration is due to relatively
low number of qualified workers in the industry. In India, petroleum engineers are
paid monthly salary between Rs. 25,000/- and Rs. 40,000/- apart from other benefits.
List of Institutes
Petroleum Engineering Degree Course:
- Indian Institute of Technology Mumbai (IIT-M).
- Indian School of Mines University (ISMU).
- Maharashtra Institute of Technology (MIT).
- University of Petroleum & Energy Studies (UPES).
- Pandit Deendayal Petroleum University Gandhinagar.
- Bihar Institute of Technology (BIT), Sindri.
- Indian school of Mines, Dhanbad.
- Government Engg. College, Raipur.
- Institute of Technology, Varanasi.
- Anna University, Chennai.