How to Negotiate First Salary?
Negotiation of salary is more often a question
raised at the interview. It is a skill which should be dealt with carefully, diplomatically
and calmly, unless one is in a position of authority which, in the case of a candidate
may be his/her exceptional competence and super-specialization, in a negotiation
pressing a partisan advantage to its self centered bitter end will prove self defeating
and counter productive. Therefore in a situation where a candidate is bargaining
it should be a win-win situation.
There are three important things to be kept in view at an
interview where salary expected is raised :
- Do not initiate the question of expected salary.
It will come to you from the employer.
- It is your first formal interview where you will have to prove yourself worthy of
a salary you are asking for. And proving yourself means :
- Exuding self confidence through both your speech and external visible aspect of
your personality i.e. your, gait posture and carriage. The more you impress by your
communication and skills the better are the chances of salary package getting negotiated
closer to your demand.
- In the absence of any work experience which would indicate your abilities in action
and could negotiate more in your favor, you have to be more accommodating and resilient.
- You may be concerned about your apprehension of offering your services for less
than what you are worth. This concern need not disturb you much as you are making
just a start. So while money is quite important, gaining experience is no less significant
for you in the immediate as well as distant future. So if you are being interviewed
by a good company, work experience in which is a road to better opportunities in
future, do not be rigid about pay package.
- Salary negotiation can substantially turn in your favor if the following are observed
in letter and spirit :
- That you have complete information about the company you are being interviewed by
viz. the company’s working, manufacturing, marketing, expansion, even ownership
etc. Nothing sounds sweeter than listening
to the interviewer about the detail of the company.
- Stay well informed about the current events and happenings around you so that you
must appear to be a person of wide and enlightened awareness.
- As in any other interaction between human beings, politeness with respectful listening
and speaking pays. Keep smiling as a smile is infectious. Everybody has a hunger
for respect and if you give it for no damages you are very likely to be compensated.
- Keep in mind that while you are being interviewed for the first time, and the interviewer
has interacted with candidate’s number of times. Therefore he is more experienced
to judge you for the real and fake. He has better perspective to understand what
you are talking about and with what degree of honesty. So be honest, sincere and
do not brag nor show off.
- Know it that in the pay package variables which are based on performance and stock
options are offered. Understand them well and then negotiate. Besides there are
different allowances and perks over and above the basic salary. Knowing all this
well and in depth will prepare you better to deal with salary component of the job.
The only thing to be taken note of with caution is that quite
often a company tries to employ a person at the least cost.
In the course of interaction with you over salary package, the interviewer is also
observing your negotiating skill, which companies require in their employees. Negotiations
are necessitated within a team between team members, between teams, with clients,
suppliers etc. So be discreet, tactful and present your case forcefully but with
sound reasons and politeness. Don't be rude.
Courtesy: Gyan Tonic