MERI 2012 B.Tech Admission – Know about Marine Engineering Research Institute B.Tech
Admission Process, Important Dates and Selection Procedure and more.
MERI 2012 B.Tech Admission - Overview:
Marine Engineering & Research Institute (MERI)
was established at the onset of Independence in 1947 to satisfy the growing need
of marine engineers in India. The Institution earlier named as Directorate of Marine
Engineering Training had it’s headquarter in Calcutta and a branch at Mumbai, under
Ministry of Shipping (Government of India). The Institute has been renamed to Marine
Engineering and Research Institute in 1994. MERI 2012 B.Tech
admission will be done on the basis of IIT JEE 2012 Entrance Exam. The
selection for the session commencing in August 2012 will be made through the Joint
Entrance Examination (IIT JEE 2012) to be conducted by IITs on Second week of April,
2012 for following courses at following campuses.
- 4-year B.Tech (Marine Engineering) Degree at:
- Marine Engineering & Research Institute (MERI), Kolkata, Kolkata Campus &
- National Maritime Academy, Chennai, Chennai Campus.
- 4 year B.Tech (Naval Architecture & Ocean Engineering) Degree Course at Visakhapatnam
- B.Tech Marine Engineering (4 Years)
- B.Tech (Naval Architecture & Ocean Engineering)
Eligibility Criteria For MERI 2012 B.Tech admission:
- The candidates must have completed their senior secondary education with Physics,
Chemistry, Mathematics and English from a reputed school. They must also pass the
concerned examinations of a recognized board.
- The applicants’ age should not be more than 25 years.
- The students must be physically and mentally fit for the sea life.
- Their normal vision should be 6/6 for each eye.
- For Marine Engineering course, those with glasses are eligible but should fulfill
the prescribed eye standard.
- The applicants with defective color vision are not at all eligible for all three
- The candidate must have appeared to IIT JEE examination
There will not be any separate entrance examination for the admission of candidates
to maritime courses offered in IIMS. It will be entirely based on JEE 2012 entrance
exam score obtained by the students.
How to Apply MERI 2012 B.Tech Admission?
The eligible students willing to join for any of these courses must submit application
form for IIT-JEE and application form issued by IIMS separately. These application
forms can be procured from any of the designated branches of Syndicate Bank anywhere
in India by paying an amount of Rs. 300/-. The fee is Rs. 200/- for the SC/ST candidates.
Commencement of sale of MERI 2012 B.Tech admission
application forms at Syndicate Bank
Last week of April 2012
Last date of receipt of completed application forms
Issue of counselling call letters to the selected candidates
Last week of July/ First week of August
- Application Form Fees for general category students: Rs. 300/-.
- Application Form Fees for SC/ST category students: Rs. 200/-.
For MERI 2012 B.Tech Admission applicants have
to appear for the IIT-JEE 2012 entrance examination, conducted by the IITs. The
qualified candidates, later on, have to appear for the Indian Institute of Maritime
Studies. Final selection of the candidates in the Marine Engineering and Research
Institute will be done through counseling or interview process which is held between
the months of July- August every year.
Answer Keys and solutions:
Marine Engineering Research Institute MERI Kolkata,
P-19, Taratolla Road,
Kolkata - 700088 West Bengal.
Tel: +91-33-2401 4673 to 77.
Fax: +91-33-2401 4333.