Information on Marine Engineering Eligibility Criteria, Career, Scope, Top Colleges and Other Details
Marine Engineering is an exciting and challenging
field for those who are passionate about sea and are fond of working with tools.
Even though waterways are comparatively less used for traveling, above 80% of the
goods transportation happens through sea. A degree in Marine
Engineering offers excellent growth opportunities and exciting job profiles
for those interested in working on the ships.
Marine Engineers are responsible for the safe running of ship engines, boilers and
all the machineries of the ship, steam connections as well as maintenance, repair,
upgradation and construction of all the relevant marine machinery. Marine Engineering
is a specialized field of study which deals with the engineering aspects of marine
related equipment found on board ships, boats and so forth. In fact it is a very
vast subject and there are several related fields of study such as naval architecture
which may not directly fall under the purview of marine engineering but act as sister
Marine Engineering is the only branch of engineering where there is 100% emphasis
on both – practical skills and theoretical knowledge.
The responsibilities of a Marine Engineer are large and therefore require some essential
personal attributes. The person should have organising ability, team spirit, ability
to get on well with others, be cool and cope well under pressure, should be able
to handle crisis, good at conceptualising forms and structures, excellent communication
skills, physical fitness and above all, liking for sea. The admiration of sea itself
can develop and enhance these qualities.
Apart from the Technical courses there are some other colleges which provide 3 year degree courses in related field.
- B.Tech(Marine engineering)
- M.Tech (Marine Engineering)
- BS (Marine Engineering) (offered by BITS Pilani)
- B.Sc. (Nautical Science)
- B.Sc. (Maritime Science)
Duration of Marine Engineering Course in India is 4 years.
A student is required to qualify class XII with Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry
and English as compulsory subjects.
Career in Marine engineering opens up opportunities for people who want to
stay on land or wish to sail on the sea. They design, construct and develop nautical
equipments. They are the ones who are responsible for selecting the ships machinery,
which may include diesel engines, steam turbines, gas turbines or nuclear reactors.
They are also responsible for the design of mechanical, electrical, fluid control
systems throughout the vessel.
Scope in India:
Various off shore and on shore job opportunities exist in:
- Shipping Companies
- Research Institutes
- Classification Societies
- Statutory bodies of Ministry of transport and Shipping
- Port trusts
- Ocean engineering companies
- As consultants
The American Bureau of Shipping, an internationally recognized organization, recruits
freshers as trainee with almost no experience in the field of Marine Engineering.
The bureau deals with developing rules based on the principles of naval architecture,
marine engineering and related subjects. Other countries like France and U.K also
recruit young marine engineers.
Marine Engineering work is associated with ship building. Therefore, they
have to be extremely cautious in their duties. Marine Engineers may have to spend
six-seven months on ships away from home.
Marine Engineering is one of the well-paid careers in the field of engineering.
At the entry level itself, a Marine engineer receives excellent pay package. A junior
engineer can expect salary around 25,000/- to 30,000/- per month on Indian ships
and around 74,000/- on foreign ships. A chief engineer will get up to 1,85,000/-
Hiring Marine Engineers: Some of the companies hiring Marine Engineer’s
- Chidambaram ship care Pvt Ltd.
- Garware marine Industries Ltd.
- Hindustan construction company
- Maharashtra maritime Board
- National Marine Engineering Services
Marine Engineering Degree:
- Bangalore Institute of Aeronautical Engineering and Information Technology, # 5,
SRS Complex, NGEF Layout, 80 Feet Road, Nagarabavi, Bangalore - 560072.
- College Of Engineering (Andhra University), Waltair, Visakhapatnam - 530003, (Andhra
- Directorate General of Shipping, Jahaj Bhavan, Ballard Estate, Walchand Hirachand
Marg, Mumbai - 400001, (Maharashtra).
- IIT (Indian Institute of Technology), Powai, Mumbai - 400076, (Maharashtra).
- Indian Marine College, P.S. No. 1262, Kachiguda Station Road, Hyderabad - 500027,
- International Marine Communication Centre, 134/3 R.H. Road, near Luz Corner, Mylapore,
Chennai - 600004.
- Lal Bahadur Shastri College of Advanced Maritime Studies & Research, Hay bunder,
Seweri, Mumbai - 400033, (Maharashtra).
- Maharashtra Academy of Naval Education and Training (MANET), Gat No. 140, Loni Kalbhor,
Rajbaug, Pune-Solapur Highway, Pune - 412201, (Maharashtra).
- Marine Engineering & Research Institute, Hay Bunder Road, Mumbai - 400033, (Maharashtra).
- Marine Engineering Research Institute, P-19, Taratolla Rd, Kolkata - 700088, (West