Follow us on Google+ / Twitter
Science & Technology Commerce & Business Art & Design
Interest Test Solve your Doubts Cut-off Personalized Counselling
By Way2k Way2k
Way2k 1 Oct 2012
Share
Tags
IITs oppose test change
224 views

The government's proposal to change the IIT-JEE format by introducing two-part objective-type tests and giving weightage to Class XII marks has not found favour with two IITs and the faculty federation of the tech schools. The senates of IIT Kanpur and IIT Delhi have disapproved of the way the human resource development ministry has been pushing for the changes in the test. The IIT Faculty Federation has argued that the proposed reforms would not serve the purpose of getting students with high aptitude and knowledge.

IITs oppose test change

While the senate is the highest-decision making body at any IIT, the faculty federation has teachers from all IITs as members. The ministry plans to hold an Indian Science Engineering Eligibility Test (ISEET) from 2013. This would serve as a single national entrance exam for admission to engineering and science courses in centrally funded institutions such as the 15 IITs, 30 NITs and a host of other technical institutes. The test will replace the existing IIT-JEE and the All India Engineering Entrance Examination (AIEEE). The ISEET would have two parts, the main test and an advance section. Candidates would have to answer objective-type questions in both parts, to be held on the same day. The test would be conducted by the CBSE with assistance from the IITs.

The Class XII marks will be given at least 40 per cent weightage while the test score would make up the remaining 60 per cent. So far, the Class XII results have no bearing on the IIT-JEE score and rank. “The senate of IIT Kanpur met last month and differed with the proposed single entrance test, especially on the weightage to Class XII scores”. Its Senate members said “the method suggested for factoring in the Class XII results would not help the IITs get good students. Since the assessment system varies across school boards, the knowledge of students cannot be reflected on the same scale and such weightage would not be a true assessment”, a source said.

The other objections relate to both parts of the test carrying objective-type questions and the plan to hold them the same day. “Most senate members in the two IITs (which have raised the objections) have said that the advanced test should require long answers instead of objective-type questions. The second test should be conducted by the IITs and on a different date”, the source said. The faculty federation voiced its objections at a meeting here yesterday. “We have decided to write to the HRD ministry not to implement the reforms immediately. They should be further debated and then finalized”, a federation member said. The ministry had set up a panel headed by IIT Kharagpur director Damodar Acharya to suggest ways to reform the test. The panel recommended the single test.

Courtesy: The Telegraph

women who cheat on husband open reasons why wives cheat on their husbands
transfer prescription coupon go coupons for prescriptions
walgreens photo coupon in store printable walgreens online coupons walgreens coupon code for prints
tretinoin 0.05% gruene-kehl.de fluconazole 50mg
cialis 2015 coupon crmsociety.com lilly coupons for cialis
concordo ski-club-auringen.de concordancia nominal
Show... Comments
0
Academic Updates
Admission Entrance Result Events
Recent Post
What you missed